Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday Thoughts after Christmas 12/27/09

We have already arrived at the 2nd day after Christmas and I can say that this was one of the best Christmas’s I have experienced in awhile. While I wasn’t with my immediate family this holiday season, I did thoroughly enjoy myself. I did have the opportunity of sharing this special time with my adopted families and talk with many friends.

Christmas is one of those times of the year when we are really minded about family and tradition. No matter where you are in life there are some things that you will always carry with you no matter what.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of world we could live in if we practiced some of our Christmas traditions the entire year and not just during the month of December. How often did you hear or say, “Remember that Jesus is the reason for the season.” Or how about my all time favorite, “Its better to give than to receive.” All during this holiday season, many of us stressed the importance of the holiday in addition to enjoying our friends and families.

So it seems as if a lot of my thoughts revolved around traditions today. I know people that have to watch A Christmas Story, drink eggnog, or even enjoy Christmas brunch. So it seems like we do a good job of keeping traditions that we have grown up with over the years. Lets start a new tradition today and keep the Christmas spirit going year round. We all have a lot to share with others and we must make a habit out of giving to others that would never be able to repay you.

Most of us probably gave great gifts during the holiday season and celebrated the birth of Jesus. The world was given the most precious gift of all with the birth of Jesus. Everyday we wake up to see another day we have been given another gift, but ask yourself what are you doing with it?

I challenge you to start a new tradition in your life today. Its not always about you and me, but the others that we share the world with. Lets start an infectious movement and begin to make a difference. 
 
“Tradition is an explanation for acting without thinking”

-Grace McGarvie

“Tradition simply means that we need to end what began well and continue what is worth continuing”

-Jose Bergamin

“What an enormous magnifier is tradition! How a thing grows in the human memory and in the human imagination, when love, worship, and all that lies in the human heart, is there to encourage it”

-Thomas Carlyle

No comments:

Post a Comment