Sunday, June 1, 2014

Saturday Night Thoughts on Having the Discipline to be Brilliant at the Basics 5/31/14

It's not quite summer yet, and it already feels like it's going to be quite a hot one in the Valley of the Sun. Although, it was a scorcher, it didn't stop it from being a great Saturday. I woke up feeling some type of way about a few things as a ton of things floated around my mind. I would say that it makes perfect sense at this time, because I have definitely been slacking in a few areas. Let's just say, I've been inspired again to sit down and put a few thoughts on paper. Seems as though I haven't actually written anything since last year, and I think it has a lot to do with where I am right now. Everything pretty much was put in perspective after hearing on more than one ocassion where are your thoughts and why haven't you written anything recently? The longer I live, the better I understand how important it is to have an amazing support system. I am beyond blessed ‎in who I have decided to surround myself with and who has decided that I should be surround by them. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, maybe I should share what's been on my mind. It's funny how the simplest things make the most sense, but we often forget about how important being brilliant at the basics is. I was having a conversation yesterday with DNICE yesterday about discipline and it really had me thinking. What does discipline mean to you? How disciplined are you? "Lack of discipline leads to frustration and self-loathing" Marie Chapian ‎"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons." Jim Rohn ‎ So as I started to think about discipline, I began to wonder myself about how disciplined I was. I realized that I have not been disciplined enough to the things that will allow me to fulfill my purpose in life. What is it that causes us to lose our discipline? How do retrain ourselves to be disciplined? "It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled uss to follow through." Zig Ziglar "Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." ‎So now as my thoughts continue to form about being disciplined, seeing how it influences your successes personally and professionally, I think I've got the blueprint to life. What are we showing discipline to? Why are we disciplined to do some things and not others? What are the things that we should be the most disciplined at? "Discipline is remembering what you want." David Campbell "If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." As simple as this statement may be it seems like it is a hard thing for us to do; KISS method "Keep it simple stupid!" Simplicity at it's finest and it's really hard to believe at times how simple life really can be if we allow it to be. Some of the most important lessons we could learn in life, we learned as children, but we aren't disciplined to practice those lessons all the time. The Golden Rule or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," should be a part of our daily lives. Are you disciplined enou‎gh to follow the Golden Rule? "In your relationships with others, remember the basic and critically important rule. If you want to be loved, be lovable." "Consideration for others is the basic of a good life, a good society." Confucius ‎I know for a fact that if I can get back to being brilliant at the basics I can see positive changes in my personal and professional life. I'm not going to say I am outright terrible, but I do believe if I get back to the core of what has made me who I am, then I'm on the right track. In terms of support system and our relationships, the people that care about us the most, won't hesitate to let us know that we aren't on our A game. How are you keeping yourself disciplined? Are you keeping yourself in the right environment to remain disciplined? "Many of life's circumstances are created by three basic choices, the disciplines you choose to keep, the people you choose to be with; and the laws you choose to obey." Charles Millhuff "Here is the basic rule for winning success. Let's mark it in the mind and remember it. The rule is: Success depends on the support of other people. The only hurdle between you and what you want to be in is the support of other people." David Joseph Schwartz In this day and age, I do believe that our legacies will be defined according to the discipline we will be able to instill in our youth. We have to do a better job of teaching them to be brilliant at the basics and everything falls in line. Let us challenge the future leaders of tomorrow to think about‎ about where they want to be and have the discipline to get them there. Well maybe first, we have to be disciplined enough to use our own talents wisely. "Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability." Roy Smith "One of the basic causes for all the trouble in the world today is that people talk too much and think too little. They act impulsively without thinking. I always try to think before I talk." Margaret Chase Smith ‎Let today be the day that you are inspired to do something different than you did yesterday. Live life and be phenomenal in all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment