Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Night Thoughts on your "role" 06/14/10

Another week has started and I am trying to embrace it in way to make it better than my last. That’s pretty much the way I try to live each day these days. It’s in the plan to make sure that tomorrow is better than today and as long as I put forth the effort I can rest knowing that that I tried.

Over the course of the last several days I have encountered a few situations and conversations that have revolved around roles. Last week you may have read or witnessed a lot of reports on the late John Wooden and his impact as a coach/leader. I read something that he said, “I wasn’t a basketball coach but I was a teacher.” That statement got me to thinking about where I am currently.

After some thought I began to realize that it’s not your position that defines your role in the grand scheme of things. We are put in situations and places because of the role we were chosen to play at a particular moment. The time has come to embrace where we are and use our talents and wisdom to give life to our role.

Do you know your role in life currently? Do you think your role has been defined? Are you ready to embrace it?

Depending on your answers you may begin to look at your role a little differently in the future. Maybe we were all put here to be teachers in some form or fashion.

“There comes a point in many people's lives when they can no longer play the role they have chosen for themselves. When that happens, we are like actors finding that someone has changed the play.”

-Brian Moore

“I do believe that when we face challenges in life that are far beyond our own power, it's an opportunity to build on our faith, inner strength, and courage. I've learned that how we face challenges plays a big role in the outcome of them.”

-Sasha Azevedo

“Do not worry about holding high position; worry rather about playing your proper role.”

-Confucius

“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on and individual level. It's got to happen inside first. You can take away a man's political freedom and you won't hurt him- unless you take away his freedom to feel. That can destroy him. That kind of freedom can't be granted. Nobody can win it for you.”

-Jim Morrison

“The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.”

-Anais Nin

“The role of the teacher remains the highest calling of a free people. To the teacher, America entrusts her most precious resource, her children; and asks that they be prepared... to face the rigors of individual participation in a democratic society.”

No comments:

Post a Comment