Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts on Pride and Relationships 07/25/10

Relaxing Sunday afternoon and I can honestly say that I am feeling refreshed even after everything that I have done this weekend. Over the last two weeks, I have put in at least 112 hours at work and tried to still incorporate some fun activities in order to keep my sanity.

This past weekend was probably one of the best that I have experienced in awhile. I can honestly say that I am still maturing daily as I begin to accept my responsibilities as a man and live up to the expectations that I have of myself. By reading this you might be wondering what it is that I did that made this one of the best weekends for me. I sat down and enjoyed the company of some good friends (shout out to the Brown family) and actually went to church this morning. These two events along with a couple of other things I did this weekend had me thinking.

I guess everything happens according to a master plan since the word that we received in church today was centered on relationships. All this weekend I was thinking about pride so I just started to incorporate the role of pride in any relationship. (family, spouse, work, friends,) It was funny this morning as they were going around the congregation acknowledging wedding anniversaries during the month of July, there was a young man that stood up to tell the church that he and his wife were celebrating 10 years and as he was doing this he was patting his wife on the back repeatedly. The pastor commented and said that the young man’s gestures indicated that he seemed to be very proud of the 10 years and the young lady he was married to.

We were left with a few points to remember at the end of the message.

1. Your relationships are to be witnessed.
2. Relationships take work.
3. Relationships are worth it.


Everything we do in life is witnessed and our relationships tell the rest of the world a lot about us. It could be a relationship a spouse, family member, friend, or even a co-worker but I promise it tells a story about who you are.

What do take pride in? Do you take pride in cultivating relationships? What are some of the relationships that you are proud of? Can others see the pride in your relationships? Are there some relationships that you don’t take pride in?

I hope that you enjoy the rest of your weekend and plan to have an amazing week.

“Pride is a personal commitment. It is an attitude which separates excellence from mediocrity.”

“Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and importance, although difficult, is the highroad to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.”

-Margaret Thatcher

“You can't give people pride, but you can provide the kind of understanding that makes people look to their inner strengths and find their own sense of pride”

-Charleszetta Waddles

“No one has a greater asset for his business than a man's pride in his work.”

-Hosea Ballou

“A great business success was probably never attained by chasing the dollar, but is due to pride in one's work - the pride that makes business an art”

-Henry Doherty

“There are two kinds of curiosity: the first drives us to seek what serves our own advantage; the other is pride in knowing what others don’t know.”

-Francois de la Rochefoucauld

No comments:

Post a Comment