Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hump Day Thoughts Before Day on "Knowing Yourself" 4/25/12

Wednesday morning before the sun comes up and my mind is racing quite a bit. Tuesday got away from me as know there were a ton of things I needed to accomplish before I drifted off to sleep, but it didn't happen that way. It seems as though the day sped by and I did complete most of the things that I tasked myself to do yesterday. By no means, am I going to look at it like a wasted day as I did still accomplish some things and had opportunities to grow through conversation and learning. I continue to marvel at life daily as I realize how small the world is. Let me tell you why I am saying this. Yesterday afternoon I was in the barbershop getting a fresh edge up and this young man was reading a magazine and busted out with this comment, "Jackson, Ms is the #1 worst city to do such and such." Immediately, my ears perk up and I say, "Come again, what did you say about my hometown there sir?" So the young man and I get into a discussion as he tells me that's his hometown too and I almost fall out of the barber chair. As we continue to talk and I realize that he went to high school with my cousins and also attended Jackson State with me, I really begin scratching my head. Who would have thought yesterday that I would be sitting in Phoenix, Arizona over 1,400 miles away from my hometown talking with the God son of one of my play mothers. Immediately, I get on the phone and connect him with his God brother who can't believe that the two of us were standing in the same place. I could only say wow at how small the world is and that everything happens for a reason as design of our destiny is controlled by a higher power. I bet you are sitting there wondering where I am going with all this and how I am going to connect all the dots back to the subject. I am sure I will get back on track and everything will make sense really soon. Well, I can say that I have had some thoughts in my head for over a week and originally I was writing something on "Knowledge of Self". I decided that the term knowledge limited me in conversation as it seemed too defined as it wasn't ongoing and was just based on a point in time. I came to the realization that knowing was the correct term to use as it allows the opportunity to continue to assess and check-in every step of the way to make sure you are on point. Here are some questions that I asked myself as I thought about this topic. How do you handle constructive criticism? Professionally? Personally? In your relationships?? Are you able to put yourself in another person's shoes to begin to see the things as they do? Or do you immediately go into defensive mode? If so, why is it that you do that? As you start to ask yourself these same questions, you may see how my thoughts began to develop and why. Situations are always going to exist that may cause you to check in and see who you are as often times there are things that influence our feelings or moods. At that same time, we have to be honest with ourselves about our true state of being. There are times when maybe we have been guilty of doing things that are pleasing to others and not ourselves. Down the road, we may be able to look back to see that maybe a different decision based on being honest with yourself would have led to a different result. I believe that one of the hardest things in life for some is to actually allow the mirror to be put up and look at every aspect of our lives. I know for a fact that some people only think of the mirror physically and won't take the time to figure out how to use the mirror to look at their mind or soul. Why do you think it is so hard to put the mirror up? Are we often times scared of what we see? If we take time out to look at every aspect of what makes us who we are knowing ourselves better can be the thing that propels us to the next level. In our careers? Relationships? Spiritually? Maybe it is time to do a SWOT analysis to figure some things out.(Evaluate your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) Change is inevitable and with that sometimes it is necessary for us to change also. The definition of insanity is 'Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.'. As I sit back and think about this I can probably say I have been foolish at a few points in my life. So I know that my experience yesterday with someone from my hometown that happens to live in Arizona now, was the little extra bit that I needed to remind me that I am still in learning mode about myself. All I know is the timing was perfect as it brought back memories as I reflected on who I was, who I am now, and who I am striving to be. The truth is in all of us and it is up to each one of us to know it and live according to it. As you get over the hump today, remember that positive thoughts breed positive actions. You can "Live life and be amazing" as long as you adopt the #PositiveMovementsForward lifestyle. The ingredients are present in order for you to go from amazing to phenomenal, you just have to do it! “Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength.” August Wilson “Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.” “You never find yourself until you face the truth” Pearl Bailey “Any life, no matter how long and complex it may be, is made up of a single moment, the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is.” “We're constantly being told what other people think we are, and that's why it is so important to know yourself.” Sarah McLachlan “Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew. They're what make the instrument stretch-what make you go beyond the norm.” “Ninety percent of the world's woe comes from people not knowing themselves, their abilities, their frailties, and even their real virtues. Most of us go almost all the way through life as complete strangers to ourselves.” Sydney Harris “Know yourself. Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.” Ann Landers “I think self-awareness is probably the most important thing towards being a champion.” Billie Jean King

No comments:

Post a Comment