Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Evening Thoughts on "Making the most of your Chance" 4/15/12

This time last week, I was enjoying another Easter Sunday and time spent with friends and extended family. Over the last week, I have done quite a bit of reflecting through conversations with friends and family about what's important. Amazing, how when you look back in time to see what you valued only to see how things change as you mature.

My thoughts have been all across the board the last couple of days, but I think I may have landed on something to make you think. I can't help but be reminded of something that I learned from my advisor Dr. Chris Jeffries back at Jackson State. He taught me about the TANSTAFL(there ain't no such thing as a free lunch) principle the first day of my Economics 101 class. Over the years, I have continued to use this principle as I weigh the opportunity cost of any decisions that I make.

It is not to any surprise that I see my thoughts revolving around chance and opportunity. The terms are interchangeable to a certain degree, but I want to focus on chance considering the word is shorter with less syllables.(Don't judge me I have my reasons for keeping it simple)

How many times have you wanted a second chance at something? Have you ever felt that you squandered away your one chance at something? Are you prepared for any opportunity that may come your way?

They say that chance/luck is when preparation meets opportunity, but often times we haven't prepared ourselves to be ready when we are given that chance. Regardless of what aspect of our lives the chance to do something arrives in, in that moment we have the opportunity to make the most of it as it may not come around again.

Not sure how many people saw the story on ESPN where Heisman Trophy Finalist Trent Richardson took a leukemia survivor to their high school prom in Alabama. The story itself was touching and seeing Trent Richardson talk about how he had a chance to make a difference in the life of someone as well as attend a prom considering he never went to his. As I watched this story I thought to myself am I making the most of all the chances that life is given me to make a difference.

On the job, at home, in our relationships, or our spirituality we have a chance to do better. Yesterday has happened, and tomorrow will bring us another chance to make the most of our opportunities. So what we didn't live up to all the promises of yesterday, dust ourselves off and embrace the chance to be better. No matter what you are going through, you have to remember that there's always a chance/opportunity to do better. Yesterday does not have to define you and the past does have to imprison you as tomorrow is your chance to move forward.

Are you afraid of taking chances in your personal life? Your career? Your relationships?

Are you ready for your chance to be more? To do more? Do you make the most of your chance at a good first impression?

Has anyone blown their chance for you to be on their team? Have you blown the chance to be on someone else's team?

As you prepare to move forward into another week, remember that only you can push yourself to make the most of your chances. Positive thoughts breed positive actions and adopting the #PositiveMovementsForward lifestyle can make all the difference. Go forward and make it an amazing week people as you deserve it.

“Hope is the most exciting thing in life and if you honestly believe that love is out there, it will come. And even if it doesn't come straight away there is still that chance all through your life that it will.” Josh Hartnett

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

“It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance. It is the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance. It is the one who won't be taken who cannot seem to give. And the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live.” Bette Midler

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.”

“I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come.” Abraham Lincoln
“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

“Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare.” Dale Carnegie

“You never get a second chance to make a first impression”

“All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.” Aristotle

“A truly great person is the one who gives you a chance.”

“When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something” Ralph Waldo Emerson

“If you are never scared, embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take chances” Julia Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment