Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Saturday Evening Thoughts on Ego 08/21/10

Enjoying a somewhat lazy Saturday and wouldn’t have it any other way. I checked the calendar and there are 142 days before College Football’s National Championship Game that will be held in the Valley of the Sun. This far out I am pretty excited as one of my favorite times of the year is nearly upon us. Everything about football season appeals to me especially the weather, since it will finally start to cool down a bit.

This past week was pretty much routine for me, but I did have the chance to participate in the kick-off meeting for the 4th year of the Leadership Academy for 8th graders that I am part of here in the valley. I think about the things that bring me joy and I enjoy every minute of my time that I give to these young men. So as I reflect on my experiences from just yesterday in this initial meeting I started to see a bit of an ‘ego’ that I had about making a difference in the lives of others.

Some people will tell you that having an ego is bad, but I am sure there are some positives to having an ego. You have to carry a certain confidence or swag with some things that you do.

Has your ego ever gotten in the way of your success? Are you able to recognize when your ego can be seen as a negative? Can your ego be a positive? Do others see your ego? What types of things influence your ego? Is your ego to big to be deflated?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and remember that you are standing at the door of amazing; you just have to walk through it. Make it a great weekend.


“If you want to reach a state of bliss, then go beyond your ego and the internal dialogue. Make a decision to relinquish the need to control, the need to be approved, and the need to judge. Those are the three things the ego is doing all the time. It's very important to be aware of them every time they come up.”

-Deepak Chopra

“The foundation of the Buddha's teachings lies in compassion, and the reason for practicing the teachings is to wipe out the persistence of ego, the number-one enemy of compassion.”

-Tenzin Gyatso

“Look for intelligence and judgment and, most critically, a capacity to anticipate, to see around corners. Also look for loyalty, integrity, a high energy drive, a balanced ego and the drive to get things done.”

-Colin Powell

“Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!”

-Pat Riley

“People who are too concerned with how well they are doing will be less successful and feel less competent than those who focus on the task itself... Some psychologists call it a conflict between ego-orientation, or between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation... but in all cases, what counts is whether attention is turned away from the task at hand and focused on the self and its future rewards, or whether it is instead trained on the task itself. The latter attitude seems the more fruitful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment