Thursday, January 12, 2012

BCS National Championship Monday Afternoon Thoughts on 'Your Service' 01/9/12

One week into 2012 and I can only say that if Week 1 is any indication of what the next 51 have in store I am more than ready! The first week of year is always a prelude to the exciting things coming my way. I am blessed to be here and so very blessed to see another year as I celebrated my 34th birthday on Thursday.

This wasn't a normal birthday for me as it was the first time in several years that I have actually worked on my birthday. After I got passed that little hurdle the day brought me more than I could have asked for. I can honestly say in some form or fashion I talked to or heard from via email, facebook, text, or twitter.

As the clock struck midnight on January 5 I was on the phone talking with one of my dear friends who wanted to be one of the first that wished me a Happy Birthday. Before I even knew it, we were talking about life and I was actually doing some Social Media consulting for him. Later on in the day I got the chance to receive birthday wishes from my big brother. Outside of the birthday wishes we did have an opportunity to have some life discussions amidst the celebration. We talked about Spencer Johnson's book Peaks and Valleys. I have read it in the past, but he suggested that I read it again as I move further into 2012 to figure out how to leave my valley.

Those two conversations had me thinking about more about life: where I am and what I am doing. I realized that even when it is supposed to be about me that I find myself doing things for others. So it made me think a little more and reflect on what it is I do here everyday. The older I get the more I understand how it feels to make a difference in the lives of others. I have learned that when I am in a valley and things just aren't how they should be I reach out to others to bring the joy back to my life.

What are you really here for? Are you helping others or just helping yourself? Are you someone that others seek out for help? How do you feel when help others? Do you feel that the world would change if people had a mind set of service?

These are questions that I have asked myself and it all makes perfect sense now. It even goes back to something that we all learned when we were younger. Treat others as you would have them treat you. I know that a lot of people can confidently say that they put their families first before anything else. That is where it all starts if you really think about it.

If you aren't already doing it, try to live a life of service as your deeds will not be done in vain. No matter what you choose to do from this point, Live Life, Be Amazing and remember #PositiveMovementsForward!

Thank you again for all the birthday love the last several days. Make it an amazing week!

Last thing I have for you today is if you happen to be watching any football this evening make sure that you are saying #RollTide!

“Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.”

-Buddha

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

Gandhi

“Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.”

H. Jackson Brown

“If you want happiness for a lifetime - help the next generation.”

-Chinese Proverbs

“Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?”

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

“How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?”

-Vincent van Gogh

“We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own.”

-Ben Sweetland

“The thing that lies at the foundation of positive change, the way I see it, is service to a fellow human being.”

-Lee Iacocca

“The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.”

-Benjamin Disraeli

No comments:

Post a Comment