Monday, January 4, 2010

First Thoughts on the New Year 01/04/10

I sit here the day after enjoying the 1st Sunday of the New Year feeling refreshed and ready to welcome all this year has to bring. I was planning on sharing some of my thoughts on the 1st day of the New Year but I struggled a bit and could not focus. I wasn’t sure of the direction that I wanted to go in and my thoughts were going in several directions.

I am not surprised that while at church yesterday I heard our church’s theme for 2010 is ‘The Year of Maximum Impact.’ I became energized as I thought about my life and where I am currently overlaid with what the New Year brings.

Wonder why is it that we as a culture get so excited about the ending of a year and the beginning of another? Often times it takes us 364 days of not living up to our expectations of ourselves to set a resolution to be better in the New Year. What if we applied that concept to our days?

If we are setting resolutions/goals there must be something we are not satisfied with it. So as we move farther into the New Year, we are presented with another opportunity to set out to accomplish some of our goals/tasks. Whatever it is we are striving to accomplish its going to take the Three F’s: faith, follow, and finish. There isn’t a thing that we can’t accomplish as long as we start by being honest with ourselves. At the beginning its important that you truly understand who you are and what you are willing to do to get different results. Often times we are looking for maximum returns with minimal effort and that is not a good way to start of the New Year.

This is ‘The Year of Maximum Impact’ and I know that you will be successful in anything that you provided you putting forth the effort to get where you want to be in every aspect of your life.

The quotes below are related to New Years and I hope there is something here that may inspire you.


“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

-Edith Lovejoy Pierce

“Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.”

-Oprah Winfrey

“People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas”

“A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other.”

“Many people look forward to the New Year for a new start on old habits.”

1 comment:

  1. The new year is here -- let's have a great one. Thanks for you thoughts. They're motivating!

    ReplyDelete