Friday, January 29, 2010

Reflections on National Mentoring Month 01/29/10

I am an early riser this morning as I prepare to head into the weekend. I hadn’t planned on being this early, but I guess my mind and body said it was time to wake up. I have already accomplished quite a bit this morning as I have prepared some Diversity & Inclusion articles for work to be shared during Black History Month.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems as if the first month of the year went by pretty fast. Already this year, I have experienced a lot: entered a new decade, celebrated my 32nd birthday, and celebrated my 10 year anniversary at work. All I can say is time does fly when we are having fun.

As I reflect on these monumental things that I have experienced thus far this year, I can’t help but think about the effects of mentoring in my life to bring me where I am today. I recently had the opportunity to hear some alarming statistics on the dropout rates around the country. I am so very thankful for everyone that served as a mentor to me growing up and still continues to mentor me as an adult.

January was National Mentoring Month and I was compelled to share some thoughts with you as we close out the month. Every January our nation spotlights the importance of mentors and the need for every child to have a caring adult in his or her life. If you don’t know already, your life can be enriched just as much as the life of a child when you serve as a mentor. We all have something to offer and we should really consider taking the time out to become a mentor. Pay it forward and become a mentor today.

Although National Mentoring Month will be over Sunday, I still feel as though there are some things that you can do to make a difference long after January is over.

Make it a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

7 THINGS TO DO
1. Become a mentor in your community.
2. Learn more about mentoring.
3. Partner with a mentoring organization.
4. Think about the mentors in your life and post a tribute to them online.
5. Watch videos of celebrities such as Quincy Jones, Sting, Cal Ripken, Jr., talk about the mentors in their lives.
6. Read the latest research and find resources on mentoring.
7. 10. Make a donation to a mentoring organization in your community

No comments:

Post a Comment