Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK Holiday After Thoughts 01/19/10

Another relaxing weekend gone by and I enjoyed every moment of it. So far the year has been off to a good start as all my friends and family continue to be blessed to still be here with me. In 2010, I am all about the little things and it really isn’t taking much for me to be happy these days.

Monday served as the federal observance of the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King and I began to have a few thoughts. You see it every year around this time as Dr. King’s ‘I have a Dream’ speech is re-enacted or people are giving reflections on his life and what his actions meant to them.

Over the years, I have recited more than my fair share of the ‘I Have a Dream’ speech on occasion. It’s kind of amazing to me that every year the holiday passes and I find myself with a different perspective on his speech and what helped our country do.

After all the reflections and reading about things that happened in his life, I believe that it was his focus that put him in the position to help our country. His Dream still lives on and we need to remain focused on remembering what he stood for not just one day in January, but every day that we live in this world. It’s ironic that the Martin Luther King holiday is seen as a National Day of Service, but where is that spirit the rest of the year. Collectively, we can make a difference and on days such as this we see what can be accomplished.

Focus is an integral part of our daily lives and can determine your success or failure in anything you pursue in life. What are you focused on? Are you focusing your time and energy in the right way? What makes you lose focus?

Since I was yet again inspired, I remain focused on THE DREAM sharing my thoughts with you and trying to make a difference the best way I know how.


“It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.”

-Anthony Robbins

“Goals provide the energy source that powers our lives. One of the best ways we can get the most from the energy we have is to focus it. That is what goals can do for us; concentrate our energy.”

-Denis Waitley

“Focus on your potential instead of your limitations”

-Alan Loy McGinnis

“Focus more on your desire than on your doubt, and the dream will take care of itself. You may be surprised at how easily this happens. Your doubts are not as powerful as your desires, unless you make them so.”

-Marcia Wieder

No comments:

Post a Comment