Monday, January 11, 2010

Morning Thoughts on Incentives 01/11/10

A little over a week into the new year and I must say that I have enjoyed myself thus far. I celebrated my 32nd birthday on this past Tuesday. I am very thankful for all of the many birthday wishes and in addition to my wonderful friends and family. I am also thankful for two amazing birthday gifts: a National Championship by the Alabama Crimson Tide and a big win by my Arizona Cardinals this weekend in the playoffs.

What a blessing it is to not only see another day in the land of the living but to celebrate another year in it as well. Over the last couple of days, I have been thinking about my plans for not only the year, but my life as well. Its amazing how the simplest of conversations can get me started on a tangent and I end up sharing my thoughts with others.

This weekend I managed to have a conversation with a friend of mine that started off as a joke and then I began to have some serious thoughts about what she said. I jokingly made the comment, "WOW I MET THE GIRL OF MY DREAMS UNTIL SHE ASKED ME WHAT MY NAME WAS AGAIN 10 MINUTES INTO THE CONVERSATION!" This was really a joke, but did spur some additional conversation as my friend made the comment, "WELL MAYBE IT WASN'T THERE AT FIRST, BUT SHE BEGAN TO SEE SOME INCENTIVE IN ACTUALLY KNOWING YOUR NAME!" I laughed for a second and then really started to think!

It is an amazing thing to realize how much of our lives and daily interactions are based on incentives. You see it in commercials as the auto makers try to get you into the dealership to buy a new ride.

My thoughts began to circulate around our lives and how much incentives play into the decision making process. Whether or not you say it out loud or just say it in your head you might just ask yourself, "What's in it for me?" No where is that more true than in our relationships with people.

While I say that its really not all that bad as I have built some relationships over the years where the what's in it for me has been more selfless than selfish!

Whether it was the fact that I chose you or you chose me I know that there is a tremendous amount of incentive for this relationship. I am a better man because of you and hope that is incentive enough for you continue the journey with me.

“There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow”

-Orison Swett Marden

“Doubt is the incentive to truth and inquiry leads the way.”

-Hosea Ballou

“Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement. Those who initiate change will have a better opportunity to manage the change that is inevitable.”

-William Pollard

1 comment: