Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Evening Thoughts on The Hunger that Fuels your Desires 02/13/12

The last two days have been extremely relaxing and they couldn't have come at a better time. Lately, I have developed even more of an appreciation for seeing another day as I am reminded often that tomorrow is not promised. Beyond tired as my mind and body have been virtually drained recently, I still can’t stop myself from thinking. The thoughts in my head continue to run all over the place these days, but what else is new. Even though my mind never rests, I don’t think I would know how to live any other way.

Unless you have been disconnected from the world, you know that we lost an amazing singer with the passing of Whitney Houston over the weekend. I send my thoughts and prayers to her family as I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one. Also, running rampant in the news on sports sites as well as business journals is the emergence of newly found NBA star Jeremy Lin.

I am sure that you are wondering how I will connect the two items I mentioned and expound on my thoughts. All I can say is stay tuned as I think the dots will connect quite nicely. While the passing of Whitney Houston is tragic, we must not lose sight of the impact that she had on the music industry and the country as a whole. Her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner in the Super Bowl almost 20 years ago, still reigns as one of the greatest National Anthem performances ever. In that moment, young singers everywhere desired to have a moment like this someday. Although merely having the desire for the moment is not enough to get you there.

In the case of Jeremy Lin, like most young men who had more than stellar high school basketball careers, there was the desire to play at the next level. Coming from Silicone Valley, California there weren't a lot of success stories that lead to the NBA, but his is different. It is a tale of his desire to make it and the hunger that kept him going until the world began to notice who he was.

A couple of days ago I found myself contemplating, as I sat looking at the words desire and hunger. For years I often used the words interchangeably, thinking that they meant the same thing. So I decided to take a deeper look at the meanings to see how they were related. It is ironic that I began thinking about the accomplishments of Whitney Houston and Jeremy Lin as I began to gather my thoughts.

DESIRE

1: conscious impulse toward something that promises enjoyment or satisfaction in its attainment
2 a: longing, craving

HUNGER

1 a: a craving or urgent need for food or a specific nutrient b: an uneasy sensation occasioned by the lack of food c: a weakened condition brought about by prolonged lack of food
2: a strong desire : craving

If you take a few moments and reflect on the definitions of both words I am pretty sure you are asking yourself similar questions as I am right now. What is it that you really desire in life right now? What are you really hungry for? What is it that fuels your desire? Do you have enough hunger to satisfy your desires? Have you lost the hunger in the past? Now? Why do you think that is? Failure? Disappointments? Distractions?

If you really step back and take a look at most things in life, desire is at the core of some things we want, but somewhere along the line we lose the hunger to go after it. So basically you can have all the desires in the world, and the absence of hunger you may find it a little harder to attain all the desires of your heart.

I know that for me in particular, I feel as though there is not a desire out of my reach as long as I live the #POSITIVEMOVEMENTSFORWARD lifestyle. Keeping a positive attitude in spite of anything that I have going on helps maintain my hunger for the desires of my heart. As long as I have an opportunity to see the desires of my heart, I know that my hunger will take me there.

As you move forward in the rest of your week, I wish all of you a Happy Valentine's Day. Live life and be amazing in the moment that is now and not later.

“Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything.”

-Napoleon Hill

“Hunger knows no friend but its feeder.”

-Aristophanes

“If you greatly desire something, have the guts to stake everything on obtaining it.”

-Brendan Fracis

“A hungry man is not a free man.”

-Adlai E. Stevenson

“Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”

-Mario Andretti

“Truth isn't always beauty, but the hunger for it is.”

-Nadine Gordimer

“We always long for the forbidden things, and desire what is denied us.”

-Francois Rabelais

“The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.”

-Robert Kiyosaki

“Ego has a voracious appetite, the more you feed it, the hungrier it gets.”

-Nathaniel Bronner

No comments:

Post a Comment