Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fat Tuesday Thoughts on "Acknowledgment & Value 02/21/12

Taking a break and relaxing on my day off is one of the best things I could have wanted on this Fat Tuesday. The day got off to an amazing start as I was able to speak with some very special people before my day officially kicked off.

Five years ago, my little niece Morgan was born and she has been pretty amazing since. With every day that she is here I am able to see her growth and how she learns about her surroundings. I try not to miss a birthday/holiday at least speaking to her or her big sister on the phone. It was quite a wonderful feeling speaking to this little princess on the phone today wishing her a "Happy 5th Birthday!" I could only smile as we talked about her birthday and how I know everyone was excited to wish her a happy birthday. Surprisingly enough, she interrupted me to say, "Well, how does everyone know? Oh, you called them, but what if you called the wrong number?" I think in that instant I was like this is one of the things that I live my life for.

This is probably the first example that will easily allow me to expound on my thoughts about acknowledgment and value. This morning I also received a random message from a young lady who was complimenting me by telling me that I should be teaching a class to show young men how to treat ladies. I smiled, thought it was interesting and wondered where it was coming from. Seems like over a period of time she has been watching me in the day to day and has noticed a few things. She found some value in some things that she witnessed and didn't mind acknowledging me for being who I am.

I look at these two examples and begin to think about the things that I am willing to acknowledge in my life. I have to wonder why is it that I do acknowledge some things today? I believe that it does have something to do with what it is that I value. As I look at calling my niece to wish her a Happy 5th birthday being one of the most important things that I needed to do today, it very apparent of the value I place on my relationships with the people I love. I acknowledge how important it is for people to know how much they mean to right now.

So as I continue to think about acknowledgment and value, I have a few questions that I have posed to myself. Why do you acknowledge some things and not others? How is your value system related to acknowledgment? Based on where you are right now in life, have you acknowledged how you got here? Do you value the experiences that brought you to this moment? Is there acknowledgment without value? Is there value without acknowledgment?

You may be surprised at some of your answers to the questions if you are willing to think about the concepts for a second. I have learned that if we are willing to acknowledge the majority of things that happen in our lives, they all have value either in that moment or in the future. What I am thinking right now is bigger than just experiences, but mainly living in this moment making the most of right now. If we were to take our blinders off and acknowledge this moment and value every second that NOW has afforded us, what a different place the world could be.

Although very simple, I have a few ideas that can be very infectious on society if you believe. Take a moment out of your day on a regular basis and acknowledge the ones that you care about and love. Show someone the value in treating people as you would like to be treated. Apply #POSITIVEMOVEMENTSFORWARD to every aspect of your life and watch how everything around you begins to change. Live life and be amazing now as why would you even put off realizing the benefits of this type of living.

“Our greatest strength as a human race is our ability to acknowledge our differences, our greatest weakness is our failure to embrace them.”

-Judith Henderson

“The value of compassion cannot be over-emphasized. Anyone can criticize. It takes a true believer to be compassionate. No greater burden can be borne by an individual than to know no one cares or understands.”

Arthur Stainback

“No one is willing to acknowledge a fault in himself when a more agreeable motive can be found for the estrangement of his acquaintances”

-Mark Twain

“Only the man who crosses the river at night knows the value of the light of day”

-Chinese Proverb

“No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.”

-Alfred North Whitehead

“Authentic values are those by which a life can be lived, which can form a people that produces great deeds and thoughts.”

-Allan Bloom

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.”

-Jim Stovall

“The hero is the man dedicated to the creation and / or defense of reality-conforming, life-promoting values.”

-Andrew Bernstein

“The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.”

-Euripides

“Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.”

-Bob Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment