Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thursday Evening Thoughts on "Recognizing the Moment" 03/1/12

Wow, we are already in the month of March! Where has the year gone? Maybe, the fun that I have experienced so far this year has me not aware of how fast the time is flying by. I do know that looking outside at the weather in the Valley of the Sun reminds me of why I love living here 90% of the time.

Looking at the calendar, it is very hard to believe that it has been almost a year since I made one of the toughest decisions that I have ever made in my life. I can't lie and say that I haven't reflected a lot over the last year, but I recognize that I am in a better place right now. You probably are going to see a lot more of that word as 'Recognize' has been stuck in my head for the last couple of days.

Life teaches us a lot when we take the time to recognize everything that is going on around us. As I look at the future leaders of tomorrow I am still very fearful of the power that we are leaving in the hands of those ill equipped to handle it. So the question I ask now is do you recognize that there are some concerns for all of us as we look to the future?

There have been several conversations that I have engaged in recently that have influenced my thoughts. I was talking to a very close female friend of mine today as I told her how she has raised the bar for any female that I allow into my life in the future. While we exchanged compliments back and forth to one another, it was very apparent that we both recognized some amazing things in each other. This is part of one of the last messages that she sent me and I felt very humbled after receiving it, ":) ur a powerful man and u r rising to the occasion that is ur life ;) proud of u!"

Earlier this afternoon I was talking with one of the many mothers(Ms. Allen) that have called me son over the years about life and such. It is quite ironic that we ended up talking about the future leaders of tomorrow and how they aren't recognizing the opportunities that are in front of them. I was saddened in the conversation to learn about an experience in a grocery store recently where the young cashier did not have the simple math skills to count out the change. I am sure that there are other examples out there like this, but regardless it is sad to think about what young people are willing to accept. What is it going to take for people to recognize that I can do better? Better yet, what is it going to take for the switch to click saying I need to do better?

I was a kid once and I understand what it means to feel like everyone is riding you to do your best, but at this point in my life I truly appreciate it all. If it wasn't for the people I grew up with and my family I don't know that I would be able to recognize all the opportunities that are in front of me to encourage/motivate people to reach their peak.

The longer I live I see that as a society we don't recognize enough of the right things to build the relationships that are necessary to help people. Think about the things you see on the job most managers notice the weaknesses of their people and aren't able to capitalize on their strengths in order to in time minimize their weaknesses. I feel as though people are conditioned to recognize faults way more than potential. I believe that it is this type of thinking that lays the foundation for failure and not success.

My thoughts are probably all across the board right now, but I ultimately they are centered around this moment and how it can influence tomorrow. I have a few more questions that I will ask myself right now to gain more clarity.

What have you recognized in this moment? Are you where you want to be? Are you the person that you want to be? Have you taken a moment out to let someone know that you appreciate them? Do you recognize the opportunities in front of you? Do you recognize that the past does not have to define you now or in the future? Do you see that now is a moment that you can never get back?

I got pretty caught up in all the different avenues that I could have taken with recognize, but it really is all about recognizing all that you have in this very moment. No one knows what the next moment will be or if it will ever come so you have to capitalize on it all right now. Let today serve as the beginning of something amazing in your life.

As we move closer to the weekend, let it all hang out, live life, and be amazing. Remember that #POSITIVEMOVEMENTSFORWARD is a way of life and you attract what you think.

“To recognize opportunity is the difference between success and failure.”

“There is something that is much more scarce, something finer far, something rarer than ability. It is the ability to recognize ability.” Elbert Hubbard

“If you know, to recognize that you know, If you don't know, to realize that you don't know: That is knowledge.” Confucius

“Eagles come in all shapes and sizes, but you will recognize them chiefly by their attitudes.” E. F. Schumacher

“In quiet moments when you think about it, you recognize what is critically important in life and what isn't. Be wise and don't let good things crowd out those that are essential.” Elder Richard G. Scott

“It is important that you recognize your progress and take pride in your accomplishments. Share your achievements with others. Brag a little. The recognition and support of those around you is nurturing.” Rosemarie Rossetti

“Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such” Henry Miller

“I've continued to recognize the power individuals have to change virtually anything and everything in their lives in an instant. I've learned that the resources we need to turn our dreams into reality are within us, merely waiting for the day when we decide to wake up and claim our birthright.” Anthony Robbins

“Experience is that marvellous thing that enable you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.” Franklin Jones

“Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.” Immanuel Kant

“How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment