Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Thoughts on Mentoring 09/25/09

Sometimes we get inspired at the most in opportune times, but its inspiration nonetheless. I found myself sitting down grabbing a bite at Chick Fil A and having a conversation with a young man named Ethan.

This young man works at Chick Fil A and happened to be off on this particular night. Ethan and I share a common interest in music and proceeded to have a discussion about new albums that we were listening to. Somewhere in the conversation, I found myself observing Ethan using the word "Dude" after a lot of his phrases. I pointed this out to him and he said, "You know what I notice I do that sometimes and I need to watch how often I say that." I didn't point it out because it was bothering me, but more because I felt that as a senior in high school I did not want to see that become a part of his normal speech unconsciously.

Ethan acknowledged that he understood why I was telling him this, and thanked me for sharing the information with him. The conversation morphed and I explained to him that what I was doing could be perceived as mentoring.

In Homer's "The Odyssey," the great Odysseus asks his friend Mentor to watch over his son Telemachus while he goes off to fight in the Trojan War. Mentoring is one of the oldest forms of influence as seen through this classic tale. As a tool mentoring can be a powerful and poplular way for people to gain personal and professional skills.

There were probably a combination of things that wrapped my thoughts around mentoring. In various aspects of my life, I am engaged in some form of mentoring like most other people.

It may seem like a simple thing, but think back to when you first learned to ride a bike? What about the first time you made pitcher of "RED KOOLAID? I am sure that you didn't know how much sugar to put in it the first time.

How did you become a good father/mother?? good husband/wife? a good friend?? good at your job??

I pose these questions so that we begin to think about what the future of our country looks like. Our young people need help in reaching their potential and developing the skills necessary to be successful in this world. Whether you believe it or not OUR FUTURE and OUR LEGACY, does depend on the younger generation.

Are you ready to commit to being a mentor now?

“Mentor: Someone whose hindsight can become your foresight”

“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.”
-John Crosby

“We've got to look at the programs that are working across the nation to prevent crime -- mentoring programs, dispute resolution programs that teach children how to resolve conflicts without knives and guns and fists, and truancy prevention programs that get them back into school and keep them out of trouble,”
-Janet Reno

“And if you're interested in the quality of education and you're paying attention to what you hear at Laclede, why don't you volunteer? Why don't you mentor a child how to read?”
-George W. Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment