Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday Night Thoughts on Appreciation 09/29/09

I sit here at my computer as the Tuesday night starts to fade in the distance. I should be preparing for bed, but I find myself reflecting on several moments that have gotten my thoughts going again. Out of all the places I could have found a bit of inspiration, I never expected to find it in my mailbox of all places.

Let me give you a quick background story, to help you understand where my thoughts just might be headed. Several days ago, I found myself shopping in one of my favorite stores and picked up a couple of items. To me it was just a normal visit to the store, until I retrieved my mail today. When I opened the mailbox, I found a envelope from the store I was shopping at. At first thought, I was thinking that they must have a sale coming up and were trying to make me aware. To my surprise it was a handwritten note about my recent shopping experience, the items that I purchased, and thanking me for visiting the store. It may have been generated by the current economy we are in, but it got my attention nevertheless.

Simple things like this are unheard of for most unless your are shopping at the Gucci store, Louis Vuitton store, or buying a Mercedes. Regardless of what I was buying, I can honestly say that I felt quite appreciated as I read the note. And this is how I found myself wrapping my thoughts around the concept of appreciation.

appreciation: 1 a : judgment, evaluation; especially : a favorable critical estimate b : sensitive awareness; especially : recognition of aesthetic values c : an expression of admiration, approval, or gratitude

From my experiences on a daily basis I think we often times do not take the time out to appreciate things as they are. It seems like it is a part of our nature to take things for granted until we are forced to appreciate them.

Do you appreciate where you are currently? Do you appreciate how you got there? Do you appreciate the people you have in your life? personal relationships? professional relationships?

When was the last time that you had a conversation with the cleaning crew in your office outside asking them to clean up something you spilled?

Have you ever heard a co-worker complaining about their job, but they still come into work the next day? In this economy isn't it a good thing just to have a job.

I posed a few questions just to put some additional thoughts in your mind. I can say that I appreciate every moment that I have in this life, based on me never knowing the next thing that may inspire me. On this night I can say I was inspired by a little alligator on a shirt and my boy D Spence.

“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

-Ashley Smith

“The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one.”

-Oscar Wilde

“I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate.”

-Elbert Hubbard

“The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated.”

-William James

No comments:

Post a Comment