Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday Morning Thoughts 11/23/09

After arriving home safely on Saturday, I am starting to get settled. My luggage finally arrived and I have clothes to wear now. I was at the airport on Sunday morning and had my Alabama Crimson Tide sweatshirt on and a older gentleman approached me.

The gentleman commented on my sweatshirt and he asked did I go to school there. The conversation morphed and I remember him saying you know what even though I live in mississippi I respect the University of Alabama and wear my Bear Bryant hat from time to time. I thought that was cool to hear him talk about how wearing a Bear Bryant hat and seeing the racial barriers disappear by a mere hat on his head.

While this may not seem significant to you, maybe it will be by the time I have finished my thoughts. As I see things, there was a reason that my luggage was missing for a period of time as it was meant for me to have this conversation with a complete stranger.
We didn't talk about anything significant, but I gathered quite a bit from the 5 minute conversation.

So it seems like from the conversation I started to form my thoughts around the feeling of being welcome. Let me expound a bit and you can see where I am going.

How often are you greeted with a smile by complete strangers? Do ever wear one of those t-shirts/sweatshirts/button with a saying/phrase that could be a conversation starter? Do you ever have people to seek you out for various reasons? Is there something about you that is sends an invitation to others? Wonder if you have a welcoming spirit?

Everything that happens in our lives is by design. Whether it is a new person or new challenge, we must welcome those things as there is a reason that it is happening at that time. We may not understand why at that moment, but later on things may make sense.

I have welcomed you into my life and look forward to what the future holds.

“You must welcome change as the rule but not as your ruler.”

-Denis Waitley

“Welcome anything that comes to you, but do not long for anything else.”

-Andre Gide

“Welcome those big, sticky, complicated problems. In them are your most powerful opportunities.”

-Ralph Marston

“Welcome the task that makes you go beyond yourself.”

-Frank Mcgee

“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your Creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don't waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.”

-Og Mandino

No comments:

Post a Comment