Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday Thoughts Before Dawn 11/19/09

It's early on a Thursday morning and I am preparing for another day. Another of those nights where I shut it down early and my body clearly has had enough rest.
I woke up with this morning revisiting some thoughts that have stayed with me the last couple of days. Over the last couple of days through conversations and watching others, I found myself thinking about admiration.

In our lives we have many opportunities to feel admiration toward someone/something in our personal, professional, and spiritual lives. What is it that gets you to the point that you begin to have admiration? It could be different for everyone, but at the same time I think we all share similar foundation which admiration is built upon. I think I heard it best from a friend who said, “we show admiration towards people and things in which we can relate to.”

Maybe you are sitting there asking yourself a few questions like I am asking myself.

Are you living a life to be admired by others? Do you even want to be admired? Who do you admire? Who admires you? What things do you admire?

Once you find the answers to these questions specifically for your life, you will be surprised to find a fresh perspective on a few things.

For one reason or another I have admiration for something that I have witnessed you do in your life or mine, and that’s probably why you are reading this right now.

Admiration:

1. a feeling of wonder, pleasure, or approval.
2. the act of looking on or contemplating with pleasure: admiration of fine paintings.
3. an object of wonder, pleasure, or approval: The dancer was the admiration of everyone.
4. Archaic. wonder; astonishment.
 
“I have always been an admirer. I regard the gift of admiration as indispensable if one is to amount to something; I don't know where I would be without it.”

-François de la Rochefoucauld
 
“Tell me who admires you and loves you, and I will tell you who you are.”
 
-Charles Augustin Sainte-Beuve
 
“Admiration begins where acquaintance ceases”

-Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment