Saturday, November 14, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Thoughts 11/14/09

It's a relaxing Saturday for me in the Valley of the Sun. Although, I don't know how accurate the Valley of the Sun label is today as it is not quite as bright as usual. Regardless of the level of sunshine, its not going to determine how my day will go. A breath of life in my body and fresh perspective on the way it is, I am ready for whatever Saturday brings me.

Sitting here at the computer and I was listening to a song in my music library and the hook, “People see me, but they just don't know… People see me, but they just don't know,” stuck in my head. As I heard this a couple of times and started to sing it a few thoughts started to form.

Much of our lives are filled with moments where we are dealing with the moment and what is on the surface. Often times we are so busy with challenges of everyday life that we don't have the opportunity to get beyond what's surface level.

How many times have you been shocked by people in your life for one reason or another? It's a natural part of life as there is always more to any situation/person than meets the eye. These thoughts that began to form had me thinking that we are all icebergs going through life. At any given moment in time, we can only see the tip of the iceberg, and often times forget what's below the surface.

Its ironic to think that there are people in your life that only care about what they can see, with no concern about what's below the surface. What is it about you that would make someone be curious about what's below the surface? What kind of things do you look for before you become concerned with what's below the surface in others?
We encounter so many iceberg situations on a daily basis, but I wonder if our focused changed from above to below how different things would be. Maybe its time to reevaluate things as it seems like the meat to any persons being is easily visible to the eye.

I know for a fact that the iceberg of your life has revealed quite a bit to me above and below the surface. I thank you for that.
 
“If it is any use to know it, I always try to write on the principle of the iceberg. There is seven-eighths of it under water for every part that shows. Anything you know you can eliminate and it only strengthens your iceberg. It is the part that does”

-Ernest Hemingway

“The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water.”

-Sigmund Freud

“Two parts of empathy: Skill (tip of iceberg) and Attitude (mass of the iceberg).”

No comments:

Post a Comment