Friday, September 3, 2010

Hump Day Thoughts on Equilibrium 08/25/10

I look over at the clock and see that sun hasn’t completely risen this morning, but I am sitting here wide awake with a few things on my mind. For the last 5 years the month of August has historically been rough month for me. As I see it. if I can prepare myself mentally for it and make it through then the rest of the year is a breeze. Not sure why but I have faced a lot of personal and professional challenges in this month. Maybe it has something with it being about 2 months removed from the halfway point of the year and I need to reflect to see how I am doing with the goals I set for the year.


Yesterday, my parents celebrated their 27th Wedding Anniversary and I thought it was pretty funny when I called my mother that she was like, “Oh yeah it is our anniversary today!” Whether she remembered it our not, I think my parents have done a good job over the last 27 years raising some good kids. (at least I think I can call myself a good kid) As I look at the relationship from my perspective it seems as though my parents were able to achieve some sort of equilibrium over the years. As I thought about that, the term equilibrium kind of sat on the brain for a minute

As equilibrium floated around my mind, I saw myself return to my study of economics and the supply and demand curve. I started to take a look at my life in terms of a supply and demand curve and more things started to make sense. I remember one of my professors teaching TANSTAAFL (There Ain’t No Such Thing as a Free Lunch) principle to the class. It really makes you remember that there is an opportunity cost to anything that we do in life. Looking at our lives in terms of my careers and relationships the supply and demand curve serves as the perfect illustration.

All of our character traits, physical, and mental abilities represent the supply, while society (friends, co-workers, family) and time represents the demand. There is only so much of us to go around, but we are always trying to find equilibrium. As we try to reach equilibrium we have to recognize that something is going to give at some point. We have to be comfortable with the choices that we make to obtain equilibrium and sometimes it does take sacrifice. Finding our equilibrium is a critical element as we move toward happiness.

How do you obtain equilibrium within yourself? Your family? Your relationships? Work? Career?

Have an amazing ‘Get over the Hump Day’ and remember to just walk through the door as amazing is waiting for you.


“The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium.”

-Norbet Platt

“Friendship works in equilibrium, always on your left shoulder when problems is on your right”

“Unless we form the habit of going to the Bible in bright moments as well as in trouble, we cannot fully respond to its consolations because we lack equilibrium between light and darkness.”

-Helen Keller

A system is in equilibrium when the forces constituting it are arranged in such a way as to compensate each other, like the two weights pulling at the arms of a pair of scales.

-Rudolf Arnheim

No comments:

Post a Comment