Monday, September 20, 2010

Thursday Morning Thoughts on Purpose 09/9/10

As I look at the clock the time says that I shouldn’t be awake, but I figure there’s a reason for me to be up at this hour. I remember falling asleep somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 and that’s only because I could look at my phone to see active text message conversations on my phone. I woke up somewhere around 1:30 and my mind was racing. When I experience from time to time, I already know that I have a little something on the brain and it’s just a matter of corralling my thoughts to see where I might be headed on my latest literary journey.

Anyone who knows me can pretty much attest to the fact that I never meet a stranger. My personality tends to be very inviting and have a very diverse group of friends. I have lived in the valley of the sun for almost six years and I have met a lot of people here. With that being said, there are quite a few people here that I have met that don’t even know my real name, but let me explain why. I was given a nickname by the people at the barbershop that I first went to when I moved here. Since December of 2004, I have been known as “Duration” and all the barbers as well as other customers call me that. The name has stuck and pretty much makes sense when you think about the person that I am. You can probably agree that there is an element of duration in most of the things I do.(I am like a good set of luggage I am not really going anywhere and most of my friends can attest to that)

As I think about people seeing me as the person known as “Duration” and not Nicholas I am reminded of there being a purpose for a lot of my relationships and interactions with others. At this early hour, by mere fate I was chatting with a former college classmate of mine DeMarco Morgan(News Anchor for WNBC 4 in New York) who ended up reading one of my blog posts and said it was exactly what he needed to read this morning. It seems like with every hour and day that passes by I am moving closer to fulfilling my purpose in life.

As I think more about my purpose I am reminded of the very first verse of Ecclesiastes 3; To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

I think that this is the perfect thing to read as we think about purpose in our lives from many different aspects.

Have you found your purpose in life? Do you see the signs that are leading to what you are being called to do? Do you know the reason that certain people have been placed in your life? Or the reason you have been placed in the lives of others? Are you ready to accept your purpose in life?

I am blessed to have everyone in my life that I have learned from and continue to learn from on a daily basis. I thank you for the relationship that we share in whatever capacity that may be. Welcome this day as another opportunity to make a difference as you are getting closer to the amazing things that are in store for you.


“The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”

-Mitch Albom

“Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?”

-Benjamin Franklin

“I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.”

-Og Mandino

“It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others”

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.”

-Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment