Monday, September 20, 2010

Tuesday Morning Thoughts on Building 09/14/10

Another day in the land of the living and if you didn’t know it already, I am happy to be alive. So now that I am here and have the opportunity to continue to make a difference it’s my task to get it done. I am definitely up for it and I know that today will be better than yesterday.

Many thanks for the thoughts and prayers that were sent up for my godson who had surgery on his ankle yesterday. He messaged me his morning on Skype and we talked for a minute so he could let me know that he was recovering and resting well. In this day and age anytime you head to the doctor for any procedure you always want to send thoughts and prayers up that the individuals performing the procedure are at their best. I mention my godson this morning because I think our relationship is quite interesting and makes me think about my foundation.

Several years ago when I was living in Birmingham, I remember young Michael(the godson) visiting with his family for a couple of days and we had an interesting interaction driving to a restaurant for dinner. Michael said from the backseat, “Nick, I want you to be my godfather.” Everyone in the car got quiet and mom, dad, and I asked him to repeat what he said. He said again more emphatically, “I want Nick to be my godfather.” At time we were wondering how does a 5 year old know something like that and we asked him later why he said that. He stated that I like Nick and if I can choose my godfather then that’s him. Needless to say that from the time he was born he has always been an intelligent young man, but I never thought that he was watching me that closely.

Just sitting here thinking about that example with my godson and how our relationship started has opened my eyes a little more. Apparently something about the foundation of who I am intrigued this young person at a very impressionable age that he wanted to be around me. I still wonder what it was that he saw.

So ask these questions of myself and to you: What does your foundation say about you? What are you building? Is your foundation sturdy enough to build upon? Do you think people only see what you have built, or can they see the foundation beneath the surface?

Don’t ever underestimate who can see your foundation because it just may surprise you. Make today an amazing day and be the best you that you can be.


“The great successful men of the world have used their imaginations... they think ahead and create their mental picture, and the go to work materializing that picture in all its details, filling in here, adding a little there, altering this a bit and that a bit, but steadily building / steadily building.”

-Robert Collier

“Leadership is not magnetic personality/that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not making friends and influencing people /that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person's vision to higher sights, the raising of a person's performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.”

-Peter Drucker

“Whatever good things we build end up building us.”

-Jim Rohn

“Belief in oneself is one of the most important bricks in building any successful venture.”

-Lydia Child

“Faith is building on what you know is here so you can reach what you know is there”

-Cullen Hightower

No comments:

Post a Comment