Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunday Evening Thoughts on Foundation 09/12/10

The weekend is almost over and it seems like I am getting into the home stretch of what will define whether it was an amazing weekend or not. So far, I have no complaints as I have done just about everything I wanted to do this weekend. I have eaten good and also fellowshipped with friends and family in various ways. Doesn’t matter what the hour is, but I can appreciate my parents still living in Germany as I was able to talk with my mother for awhile since we are 9 hours apart. It’s always a good feeling to end that conversation with a simple “Talk to you later, Love You.”

If you didn’t know already, I love to watch sports as I see a lot of opportunities for life lessons and examples to share. I can’t tell you how much I love the weekend now that football season is finally getting rolling. I was happy to watch the Alabama Crimson Tide’s football team win on yesterday in spite of being without the Heisman Trophy winner and another All-American defensive lineman. I also just got finished watching my Arizona Cardinals win their first game of the season as they prepare to defend their NFC West division title. While I am excited about both of these victories it’s important to note that both the Cardinals and Crimson Tide were not at 100%.

I make reference to the teams not being at 100% because people didn’t think that they would win those games. As I listened to opinions of people, I started to think what is it that these teams have in common that aided in their victories. I thought about it for a second and even while not all full strength they had a solid foundation in place. So it’s no surprise that the term foundation started to float around my head for a minute.

I am going to go back and reference the conversation that took place with my mother as it will help me elaborate on some of my thoughts about foundation. Trying to end every conversation with my mother and saying ‘I Love You’ is something that was built over the years in our relationship. Like a house or building needs to a strong foundation to support it, we as individuals need to have a strong foundation as well. In our relationships, schooling, and jobs your foundation is critical part of these things as you have to have something to build on. As I think about foundations, I also remember being from Mississippi and always hearing about the problems with the foundations of houses because they were built on the Mississippi red clay. Often times the homes may appear to be structurally sound but every now and then someone needs to come in to jack up the home to do a little foundation work.

As I take a look at my life I think about my foundation how it was built through my upbringing, experiences, family, and friends. What is it that makes you who you are? How strong is your foundation? If your foundation is weak, do you know how to strengthen it? Are you open to receive feedback from others that your foundation may be weak?

If we have built anything at any point in our lives whether it’s a relationship or a career it’s important to have a strong foundation in order to hold up against any forces that we may encounter. It’s never too late to go back and shore up your foundation as it wouldn’t be smart to keep building on something that may not be as sturdy as it needs to be.

I trust that you will start out with the right attitude and mindset to usher in a new week, new opportunities, and new experiences. Remember amazing is all around you and you just have live your life. I will leave you with this, “Be wise or otherwise.”(that simple statement might make you think)

“Build this day on a foundation of pleasant thoughts. Never fret at any imperfections that you fear may impede your progress. Remind yourself, as often as necessary, that you are a creature of God and have the power to achieve any dream by lifting up your thoughts. You can fly when you decide that you can. Never consider yourself defeated again. Let the vision in your heart be in your life's blueprint. Smile!”
-Og Mandino

“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.”

-David Brinkley

“Character is like the foundation of a house - it is below the surface.”

“Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.”

-Saint Augustine

“The foundation stones for a balanced success are honesty, character, integrity, faith, love and loyalty.”

-Zig Ziglar

“Character is the firm foundation stone upon which one must build to win respect. Just as no worthy building can be erected on a weak foundation, so no lasting reputation worthy of respect can be built on a weak character.”

-R. C. Samsel

No comments:

Post a Comment