Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tuesday Morning Thoughts on Approach 09/7/10

My, my, my it was definitely a scorcher this weekend in the valley. Seems like every time I started the car the temperature gauge said 105 and then 5 minutes later the temperature gauge rose at least 3-4 degrees higher. The holiday weekend is coming to a close and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed myself. There is no better substitute for food, family, and friends. I have eaten pretty well and fellowshipped quite a bit and I think I have a few takeaways from this weekend. In addition to all the fun I had with food and friends, I was excited to welcome football back as this was the first weekend of the college football season with the NFL season kicking off Thursday night. If you didn’t know already, we are moving into my favorite time of year.

Over the last four days, I have been blessed in my conversations and interactions with people that my mind is filled with quite a few thoughts. I really don’t know where to start, but I’ll just start rambling as usual hoping to end up in the right place in the end.

It never fails that as you go through things in life that you realize later on that it was just the experience that you needed to go through to prepare you for something better. Often times it’s hard to remember to be steadfast in moving in certain directions as we allow our trials and tribulations get the best of us. In my personal life right now, I am asking myself a lot of questions daily about my career and what I should be doing. All I can say is everything happens for a reason and the Lord always gives you what you need right when you need it. I say this because of the message that I received in church over the weekend and it was just confirmation that I need to refocus a little bit.

For a little while now I have to have serious conversations with myself just to make it into work daily. Some days I am more frustrated than others and my attitude is toward work isn’t where it should be. I know that I have lost perspective and focus, but my message on Sunday is putting me back on the right path. The message was about ‘The Right Perspective of Work.’ On the Labor Day holiday weekend I couldn’t have asked for a better message to help me on my journey.

Have you ever thought about how much time we actually spend working. During the span of our lives we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, 1/3 on the job, and the rest of the time doing whatever else we feel the need to do in life. Don’t get me wrong as in this economy I am appreciative of my job, but I needed this reminder about my approach to work. I never viewed work as a form of worship until this past Sunday. We work the jobs that we work to allow others to witness of the power of the Lord. People are supposed to be able to see that God lives in us in all of our daily interactions, and often times that doesn’t happen in the workplace. I am not saying that you have to shout and praise all day long, but there is a an opportunity to worship in the workplace.

Here are a few things to think about in terms of worship and the workplace that I took away from the message. Do we go to work to obey our boss as a man/woman or do go to work to do right by God? We must remember that we are where we are so that the God in us can be seen at all times in spite of all that is going on. If we are lost in the wilderness and not praising God, that is really not his plan. We should be praising because he has the confidence in his to find our way out and lead others to the promised land.

Now is time to think about our lives and stop being so ‘Thermometric’ and be willing to set the temperature. It’s time out for gauging the temperature of our personal situations, as we know and have known for awhile where things are. This is just a little piece of what I ended up getting out of my overall Labor Day weekend, I am sure that I may revisit a few more thoughts over the course of the week.

After all this, I found myself thinking about the approach and began to ask a few questions. Overall what is your approach to life? What is it that makes you approach situations differently? Does your audience have any influence on your approach? Are you able to influence someone else’s approach to life? Work? Relationships?

As we start another week, I trust that you will get it started in the right fashion. A positive attitude and a smile goes along way. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams and remember that you are on the cusp of something amazing. You just have to go and get it!
“Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.”
 
“The truth of the matter is that there's nothing you can't accomplish if: (1) You clearly decide what it is that you're absolutely committed to achieving, (2) You're willing to take massive action, (3) You notice what's working or not, and (4) You continue to change your approach until you achieve what you want, using whatever life gives you along the way.”

-Anthony Robbins

“Remember the two benefits of failure. First, if you do fail, you learn what doesn't work; and second, the failure gives you the opportunity to try a new approach.”

-Roger Von Oech
 
“Success is almost totally dependent upon drive and persistence. The extra energy required to make another effort or try another approach is the secret of winning.”

-Denis Waitley

“The best angle from which to approach a problem is the Try-angle.”

“The obstacles you face are... mental barriers which can be broken by adopting a more positive approach.”

-Clarence Blasier

“Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.”

-Tom Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment