Monday, December 19, 2011

Rainy Day Thoughts on Finishing 12/13/11

The rain in Phoenix the last couple of days has given me an opportunity to slow down a little to figure some things out. Rain always seems to have a calming effect for me as I remember that just because it rains, the show still goes on. To me its a reminder of continuing to proceed forward, but to be a little more cautious with everything as everyone doesn't handle the rain well.

In less than three weeks this year will be over. Yup, 2011 will officially be in the books and we will be ushering in 2012 ready to do it all over again. I swear as I get older, I think that life continues to speed by at a faster speed than it did yesterday. The more that it speeds up, it seems like the more I enjoy it.

As I look to close out the year I have to look back and reflect on quite a few things. When the clock struck 11:59 pm on December 31, 2010 I was ready for 2011 with a great plan in hand so I thought. Somewhere during the course of the year I knew that there was no way I was finishing the year the way that I started it. Regardless of where I am when I finish it, my goal has always been to follow through to see the end of the year.

Over the last week or so it seems like there has been a common theme surrounding me about closing/finishing so I guess that's where I'll be for the next several moments. Last week friend of mine in sales was saying "I really hate this time of the year as I can't seem to get motivated, but I know what I need to do to finish the year."

What is it about the last couple of months of the year that shift our mindset to where we have to focus extra hard to finish the year strong? I think it might be the looking forward to the new year and a new start. How often are we merely refreshed just thinking about the new year that's coming?

Ask yourself is it harder to start or finish something? I am sure that the debate can go on for quite awhile with differing opinions. Think about it this way, while you are preparing yourself for the start you have gotten everything in order to begin when you are ready. Once you have started, you don't have 100% control over everything but sometimes takes extra focus to stay the course. You've got internal/external factors that could be roadblocks along the way as you try to complete tasks.

It's pretty simple that to start something is easy, but to actually finish it requires a little more. Dedication, focus, heart, and an unwavering will are needed to propel you beyond the start.

Have you ever started something that you didn't finish? Why didn't you finish? Have you ever thought to yourself why would I start something I had no intentions of finishing? Are you honest with yourself when you start something?

How much better can your tomorrow be when you know that you finished today strong. Always ask yourself, "Now that I have started, am I prepared to finish?" As we prepare to get over the Hump, I ask that you live the life that you have imagined and be a finisher.

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.”

-Winston Churchill

“We rate ability in men by what they finish, not by what they attempt”

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in, forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day, you shall begin it well and serenely...”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J.R.R. Tolkien

“When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself.”

-Isak Dinesen

“If I'd had some set idea of a finish line, don't you think I would have crossed it years ago?”

-Bill Gates

“If you spend too much time warming up, you'll miss the race. If you don't warm up at all, you may not finish the race.”

-Grand Heidrich

“There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between.”

-Sir Thomas Beecham

“All endeavor calls for the ability to tramp the last mile, shape the last plan, endure the last hours toil. The fight to the finish spirit is the one... characteristic we must posses if we are to face the future as finishers.”

-Henry David Thoreau

“No matter how long it takes, If you keep moving, One step at a time, You will reach the finish line...”

No comments:

Post a Comment