Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Reflections on Making Adjustments 8/28/11

Seems like another weekend has flown by and I wonder where the time went. In the midst of relaxing, staying out of the heat, and keeping tabs on what Hurricane Irene was doing, I can say that it was a pretty uneventful weekend. It never fails that when my mind is idle that I tend to have a lingering thought about something going on in my day to day life.

I think I am in a pretty good place when I get to observe my friends and take part in discussions about life and the world. It seems like no matter what I was talking about this week, things always seem to revolve around the same ole same ole. Not just saying that we talk about the same ole thing all the time, but just hearing/seeing the same things over and over. I can honestly say that my eyes lit up on this topic as I thought about the definition of insanity – “Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.”

Seems like recently I have heard everything from I am just tired of when people do this and do that or why do I keep attracting a certain kind of person in my life. I have found that I tend to sit back and listen to see when there is going to be a comment that someone made an adjustment or change, but it never comes.

The more that I live I learn that most people don’t really make adjustments in situations until they are forced to. I sometimes wonder if it is merely that people are afraid of leaving their comfort zone or something else that I just haven’t put my finger on just yet. How many times have you known someone who complained about a job they were working? At the same time, how many of those same people were doing something to put them in a position to be in a different job? Or what about this classic example that I am sure we all have heard from time to time from some people that aren’t in a serious relationship, “I don’t know why but I can’t seem to meet the right person.”

I have learned that no matter what the situation is in life be it related to your career or just your personal relationships you have to sit down and assess it all. If we are willing to do an honest assessment of our situations to figure out what needs to be adjusted in order to achieve different results. In our every day lives adjustments are made when we are forced to make them, but what is stopping us from being proactive? I believe that most people are reactive by nature, based on how and when we make adjustments.

What kind of adjustments have you had to make in life? Career? Relationships? Family? What has prevented you from making adjustments? Do you find that the adjustments you have made are of a proactive or reactive nature? How are you influenced to make adjustments?

I think about what my answers to these questions are, and realize that it all boils down to what I am willing to do in order to realize a different result. I hope that you are able to make the adjustments necessary in order to get to where you desire to be in every aspect of your life. Sometimes adjustments aren’t necessarily what we want, but what we need to get to the next level.

Let’s make it a great start to the week as your prepare to Live Life and Be Amazing!

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

-Jimmy Dean

“There are things I can't force. I must adjust. There are times when the greatest change needed is a change of my viewpoint.”

-Denis Diderot

“When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.”

-Confucius

“Learn to adjust yourself to the conditions you have to endure, but make a point of trying to alter or correct conditions so that they are most favorable to you.”

-William Frederick Book

“Life is the continuous adjustment of internal relations to external relations”

-Herbert Spencer

“Happiness comes from... some curious adjustment to life.”

-Hugh Walpole

No comments:

Post a Comment