Sunday, December 4, 2011

Saturday Morning Thoughts on Respect 12/3/11

Looks like we have made it to another weekend, but I can honestly say that it wasn't the easiest of weeks for me. I haven't been able to sleep longer than four hours the last couple of nights for one reason or another. When I am in situations like these I know why I can't sleep and its probably because my mind is in overdrive replaying things in my head that I have been in the midst of recently.

I don't normally let a lot of stuff bother me, but I almost lost my cool several times this week. Ever since I was a young whipper snapper, I have always had been thrown off when people don't treat me with respect. For some strange reason I have always felt like that is really the only thing I am owed in this world is respect. Sadly enough we really don't get an opportunity to be around people that have respect these days. My mother says it best that if I had been alive during the Civil Rights days, I wouldn't have lived to tell about it. And I could never argue with her as she was always right about that one.

Most people would immediately think that my issues would revolve around visible differences, but that is not even the case. For me it is so much deeper as I think about respect. On so many levels respect is just absent from a lot of things in the world today. I have learned that people like different things, so respect their likes and dislikes. People think differently, so respect their opinion. Everyone doesn't see everything the same way, so respect their perspective. I could go on and on, but I am sure you can see the picture that I am trying to paint.

How different would the world be if people knew what respect was? It seems as though respect has gone by the wayside these days based on what we see in our daily lives. Companies have lost respect for employees as they view them simply as just a number these days. Companies are forgetting why they are in business as employees don't show respect for their customers. And as I look at these examples, it really isn't the company itself, but the people. Respect starts with an individual and lack there of can trickle down to the employees and ultimately to the customer. How surprising it is to see people forget that without the customers, there is no job for them.

Take a moment and think about your personal and professional life. Do you give the necessary respect to others? Are you respected as a man/woman? Are you respected because of a position? Or are you respected as a human being? What do you respect? Why? How do you lose respect?

I honestly believe that there are a lot of people in this world that struggle with this because the never saw what respect was in their home growing up. I think that is one of our biggest problems in society right now. Respect starts at home and if you have that piece it will carry you far in life. At least that's my two cents, whether you like it or not you can respect that I have an opinion.

As you look to enjoy your weekend, go out and do something memorable. Enjoy the moments and never second guess yourself as opportunities are not always going to be the same. Live life and be amazing as only you know what that life looks like.

“I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.”

-Jackie Robinson

“In the end we are all separate: our stories, no matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge. We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect.”

“Men are respectable only as they respect”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Treat others as you want them to treat you because what goes around comes around”

“Only those who respect the personality of others can be of real use to them”

-Albert Schweitzer

“This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him”

-William Lyon Phelps

“Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.”

-Clint Eastwood

No comments:

Post a Comment