Friday, October 2, 2009

Thursday Late Night Thoughts 10/01/09

Over the course of my life I learned a few things and you can't question the things that God does in your life. Some of those things may seem insignificant to you at the time, but often times it carries a bigger meaning. If you are like me, you are starting to wonder where my inspiration came from today or what could possibly have on my brain right now.

So let me tell you a little bit about my day and then you can see where I am headed. Seemed like a normal day for me as I got dressed and went to work. I really didn't think a whole lot about my wardrobe decisions today, but it was pointed out to me that I was comfortable in my manhood by wearing a Pink Polo shirt. It was at that moment that I realized that it was October 1 and the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I first learned about breast cancer at the age of 8, when my great grandmother was diagnosed and she beat it. Also, in the last several years one my very close friends mother overcame her battle with breast cancer as well. Breast Cancer Awareness Month holds a special place in my heart based on people close to me that were affected. I believe in supporting the push for cancer research and try and do my best to support. As I think about my feelings about supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it made me think about my relationships with the individuals that have gone through it.

Even as an 8 year old, I can remember my great grandmother recuperating in the front room of my grandmother's home and going into check on her. All I knew at that time was that my great grandmother was lying the bed and she was smiling when she saw me. As I became older and my friends mother was overcoming her battle, I remember picking up the phone in Arizona and calling back to Mississippi checking in with her and her family members to see how she was doing.

My thoughts all of sudden began to be centered around support and what does it actually mean. I am sure we all have a lot of contacts in our blackberry's, palms, and outlook contact folders.

How many of those people are there for you when you don't even ask? How many of those same people become aware of what's going on in your life and pray for you when you aren't even asking them to?

Do you have the right support system based on where you are destined to be in life?

How are you supporting others?

“A friend is the one who comes in when the whole world has gone out.”

-Grace Pulpit

“Four things support the world: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the good, and the valor of the brave ”

-Muhammad

“Family... a group experience of love and support.”

-Marianne Williamson

“If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't follow. I'd be at the bottom to catch them when they fall.”

“False friendship, like the ivy, decays and ruins the walls it embraces; but true friendship gives new life and animation to the object it supports”

-Richard Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment