Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday Night Thoughts 10/06/09

I am sitting here at the computer watching the clock as I prepare to play Madden '10 online with a dear friend of mine in Alabama. I must say you really have to appreciate technology and the things that it allows us to do.

As I write about anything that inspires me, I have created a situation that my friends feel very comfortable talking to me about anything. While I am preparing to have a lil fun, I can't help but reflect on several conversations that have taken place with a couple of my friends over the last couple of days. It seems like the flavor of the month happens to be not being valued for who you are or appreciated in your relationships. As I started to think about it, I think it all starts with what a person cherishes. If we can begin to understand the things that are important to people we can begin to know whether not we will be questioning intentions later on.

The word treasure began floating around my head, see the definition below.

treas·ure n. 1. Accumulated or stored wealth in the form of money, jewels, or other valuables. 2. Valuable or precious possessions of any kind. 3. One considered especially precious or valuable. tr.v. treas·ured, treas·ur·ing, treas·ures 1. To keep or regard as precious; value highly. 2. To accumulate and store away, as for future use.

After reading this definition several times and thinking about how the word is used I began to have a few thoughts about relationships.

Are our relationships affected by what we treasure?

Are we often treasuring the wrong things? wrong people?

Have you ever hidden a treasure only to find out it was gone when you went back to retrieve it?

Have you ever found a treasure that was deemed to be not worth much to someone with no vision?

What do you honestly treasure?

These are good questions to ask of ourselves as we move forward to make tomorrow better than today. Its always good to remember that some things you treasure are nothing more than fool's gold.

“If out of all mankind one finds a single friend, he has found something more precious than any treasure, since there is nothing in the world so valuable that it can be compared to a real friend.”

-Andreas Capellanus

“Faithful friends are gifts from heaven: Whoever finds one has found a treasure.”

“I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have – life itself.”

-Walter Anderson

“Treasure your relationships, not your possessions.”

-Anthony J. D'Angelo

“Friendship is a priceless treasure never to be bought or sold - it can only be cherished.”

“Whatever we treasure for ourselves separates us from others; our possessions are our limitations.”

-Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment