Saturday, October 31, 2009

Saturday Thoughts 10/31/09

As I was leaving work the other day, I found myself having a very spirited conversation with a couple of my co-workers who have a combined 60+ years with my company. Its been awhile since I saw the type of smiles on these individuals faces. Let me give you an idea of what brought out the joy in them.

As a young man, I have always looked up to these men based upon their tenure in the company, but I also look to them for their life experiences. Not sure how it started, but these men started asking me about how my search for a rib was going.(if you aren't familiar with the rib search, its origination is found in the book of Genesis) They started to talk to me about when they were young, their style, and how smooth they were. They began to take a trip down memory lane and nonetheless I was inspired.

Do you ever have one of those, I remember what I was doing moments when you hear a song on the radio? Do you ever stare at your children as they are learning how to ride a bike or playing sports, and say I remember that?

In a matter of moments I became inspired to think about what creates a memory. Our past helps us share our story with others. You have lived a life full of memorable moments that have helped to shape the person you are today.

I remember how and when you came into my life. What makes something worth remembering to you?

“May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten”

-Irish Blessings

“I have liked remembering almost as much as I have liked living”

-William Maxwell

“What is human life? The first third a good time; the rest remembering about it”

-Mark Twain

“We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will be the past; and we must respect the past, remembering that it was once all that was humanly possible”

-George Santayana

“Remembering the past gives power to the present”

No comments:

Post a Comment