Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Friday Afternoon Thoughts on Special 10/22/10

Another relaxing Friday and I am enjoying my day off. I must say that there is no better feeling than taking time away to recharge and prepare yourself for some amazing things that are headed your way. Right this minute I am trying my best to bring happy thoughts my way as it has been a very long and draining week.

I have a very heavy heart right now as I send many thoughts and prayers out to the family of a special friend who I have known for over 11 years. Earlier this week they were involved in an accident which took the life her brother. As my family and extended family/friends, I ask that you pray for her and her family to carry through this difficult time.

The passing of anyone is never an easy thing to deal with especially a loved one. As friends/loved ones we can be there for them and over our love, support, and empathy to help them get through this time.

Over the last couple days I have been doing some reflecting and my mind has been wrapped around a few things that I am going to get into right now. I had a few conversations this week via email/phone with my mom this week and I can honestly say that she made me feel special to be her son. I think it may have a lot to do with me being her first born and the relationship that we have nurtured as mother/son and then as friends over the last 32 years.

As I thought about my mother making me feel special, I began to think about special and how it seems like my mother always makes other people feel special. It wasn't just me, but there is just something about the way my mother makes people feel. I don't think she realizes all the things she does, its the way that she is able to be there for you. Caring and funny that's what she is cause she is more than just a mom to me. If you have ever met her you can probably agree with this, cause it seems like she has to be special to have helped mold me into the man that I am.
So I started to wonder about a few things surrounding 'special' and began asking myself a few questions. How do you define special? What is it about you that makes you special? Do you view someone(s) as special? Why are they special to you? What makes a moment special? How is it that you hold onto those special moments?

Although it has been an emotionally draining week with some different things I have been through I did welcome the opportunity to visit with the young men in my leadership academy for a special session today. I used the word special because I think the event we had today was special and I recognize it for what it was. We were originally scheduled to have 3 guest speakers, but due to some unforeseen things this morning we were only going to have one. So I picked up the phone and contacted a friend on a whim who was available and excited to a part of this mentoring event. Again I say the event was special cause everyone could feel that there was a higher power involved to make all this happen. It was just amazing to see two men standing in front of these young men having two very similar conversations that complemented the other like it was planned that way.

As you can see from my example, sometimes the simplest things in life just might be a special moment for you and others. I will remind you always to show appreciation to those in your life as they may be special to you even if they aren't to others. Everyone that I have in my life is special to me. I want to say thank you to Derrick and Ethan for your words that help create yet another special moment for me and others.

Heading into the weekend, enjoy the time spent with friends and family as it is precious. Welcome amazing into your life in whatever capacity you can allow.

“I'd rather have a moment of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.”

“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your Creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don't waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.”

-Og Mandino

“Life becomes precious and more special to us when we look for the little everyday miracles and get excited about the privileges of simply being human”

-Tim Hansel

“The friends who grew up with you deserve a special respect- the ones who stuck by you shoulder to shoulder, in a time when nothing was certain, all life lay ahead, and every road led home.”

“It doesn't require a special day to express how much I Love You... if every ordinary day is more than special when I am with you.”

“Will you ever? I don’t think you will ever fully understand how you've touched my life and made me who I am.I don't think you could ever know just how truly special you are that even on the darkest nights you are my brightest star.”

-Erica Jong

“No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.”

-Barbara De Angelis

No comments:

Post a Comment