Thursday, May 12, 2011

Friday Evening Thoughts - What's below the Surface 12/10/10

There's really only one way for me to start this off and that's by saying, "Another beautiful day in the land of the living!" I couldn't think of any other way to start off because I am so
thankful to see another day and have yet another opportunity to get this thing we call life right. Waking up this morning I knew that I wasn't going to have all the right answers or say the right things, but if/when I do wake up I am going to put my best foot forward.

Before, I move to far forward, I do want to thank you for the prayers sent up for my family and extended family with the recent passing of a loved one. Even in the midst of grieving there are still positives that seem to come out and provide comfort.

It really doesn't take much for my mind to get running and after a few conversations/interactions with a few people my mind is going full speed. As we are in the holiday season I am starting to see people who are preaching the good will towards all men and thinking of other mantra. I often wonder when I see this from certain people where was this attitude in the middle of March or July. The holidays always tend to bring the caring nature out of people. I wonder how different the world might be if the attitudes we have during the holiday season managed to carry over throughout the entire year. Hmmmm

As I continued to let my thoughts roam a little more the term surface got stuck in my head. I started to think about my experiences growing up and the holiday season. I wonder how many times as a child I became overly excited about a gift that appeared to be wrapped in a better package or in a bigger box. How often was I disappointed because I focused on what I could see on the surface because the real treasure was beneath the surface.

As I think about it, most of our decisions are based on what we are able to see on the surface and it's at that point when we determine if we want to see what's below the surface. We have to remember the iceberg concept as we deal with people and situations as there is only so much that we can see at any given time. For example, I have been asked again about finding a special person to spend my life with and I have a new answer to the question. I can be easily impressed by what I can see on the surface in a person's appearance, but can I close my eyes having a conversation with them and still be impressed with their personality, attitude, and spirit. When I find someone like that I will definitely excited about the future.

As you prepare to enjoy your weekend, I want to remind you to always take a couple of moments to look beyond the surface if you feel it's warranted. Amazing is just around the corner and every now and then you need to look just a little below the surface to find it.
When you meet people does what you see stop at the surface? What is it that makes you curious about what's below the surface? Have you ever been mistaken by what you were able to see on the surface? When people look at you, what do they see on the surface?

“Character is like the foundation of a house - it is below the surface.”

“Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath.”

-Michael Caine

“Keep looking below surface appearances. Don't shrink from doing so just because you might not like what you find.”

-Colin Powell

“Behavior which appears superficially correct but is intrinsically corrupt always irritates those who see below the surface”

-James Bryant Conant

“Do not hover always on the surface of things, nor take up suddenly, with mere appearances; but penetrate into the depth of matters, as far as your time and circumstances allow, especially in those things which relate to your profession”

-Isaac Watts

“Few people even scratch the surface, much less exhaust the contemplation of their own experience.”

-Randolph Bourne

“There are two sorts of curiosity - the momentary and the permanent. The momentary is concerned with the odd appearance on the surface of things. The permanent is attracted by the amazing and consecutive life that flows on beneath the surface of things.”

-Robert Lynd

No comments:

Post a Comment