Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hump Day Thoughts on Regrets 09/29/10

Another hump day has arrived and I am sitting here watching the clock wondering why I am wide awake before the sun rises. Not sure what time I finally dozed off last night, but as I awoke this morning I had a few thoughts on the brain even at this early hour.

Just yesterday I was having a conversation with someone at work who was questioning where they were in life and stating that they had some regrets about decisions that they made. I couldn’t help but listen and try to offer some advice as this topic is one that I try not to visit if I can help it. Eventually, this individual and I were able to agree that regardless of whatever path that each of us had taken to arrive where we were there is value in those experiences.

At this point in my life I can not say that I haven’t had regrets about some things, but I choose to look at regret with a different perspective these days. With everything that we encounter in life we are always presented with choices. Sometimes there are things going on in our lives that cause us to make certain decisions at particular point in time. You could be in the same situation at another point in life and make a totally different decision based on your experiences. At any point in our lives, there is a reason that we make decisions that we do. I think no matter what we do in life those what if thoughts in a few situations may exist. The question is how we move past the regret to appreciate it for what it was a life experience and lesson learned.

I ask myself a few questions as I continue moving forward today and learning from my actions yesterday. Do I have any regrets? In my relationships? Career? Have my regrets hindered me from accomplishing anything? Why am I still holding onto these regrets?

Live your life with no regrets and move in the direction of what makes you happy.

“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”

-Fulton Oursler

“I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.”

-Rita Mero

“I would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I'd just been myself.”

-Brittany Renee

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

-Alexander Graham Bell

“If we spend our time with regrets over yesterday, and worries over what might happen tomorrow, we have no today in which to live.”

“Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - "If I had my life to live over again, I'd do it all the same”

No comments:

Post a Comment