Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sunday Evening Reflections on the Sweetest Day 10/17/10

Finally made it to Sunday Evening and I can say this week was longer than normal. I guess it had a lot to do with me being a little under the weather and down and out for a minute. I think I am getting back to normal and feeling almost like my normal self.

Yesterday, was the Sweetest Day and I can honestly say that I tried to do some things to recognize the holiday.

Sweetest Day is an observance celebrated primarily in the Great Lakes region, and parts of the Northeast United States, on the third Saturday in October. Once known as a day to spread love and cheer to the unfortunate, this popular holiday in the northern U.S. is now known as a day to show affection to the ones in your life whom you like. It is described by Retail Confectioners International as an "occasion which offers all of us an opportunity to remember not only the sick, aged and orphaned, but also friends, relatives and associates whose helpfulness and kindness we have enjoyed."

In thinking about the Sweetest Day, I talked with my mother and also talked/texted a few other special people in my life to let them know that I appreciated them. Life is something that happens and you never know what life will throw at you next. I say this as I was at Chick-Fil-A yesterday picking up my yogurt for the next two mornings and was presented some sad news. One of the patrons that I run into from time to time as I greeted him whispers in my ear that his brother in California passed away last night. At that moment, I didn't know what to say or what to do other than offer my condolences and let them know that I would pray for them and their family.

At that moment I realized how important it is to enjoy today for what it is and appreciate everything that today has for you. Whether that's telling someone you love them or just letting them know that you care, there's no better time than now to do it. I think about this young man that I only know from our visits at Chick-Fil-A, but I showed empathy for his situation in sharing a moment sympathy with him and stating that I would pray for he and his family.

As I think of my experience yesterday and I some other things I have dealt with recently I began to wonder a few things.

Where would the world be if there were more selfless acts instead of selfish acts? When people see you, do they see selfless or selfish?

As we end this Sweetest Day weekend, I trust that you are well prepared to begin an amazing week. We as a society can be sweet and caring even without being reminded by holiday that tells us to be that way. I have no doubts in my mind that you are ready to do something nice for your fellow man/woman. Remember you are standing at the front door of amazing and wouldn't it be something if you walked through the door with someone.

“An act of goodness is of itself an act of happiness. No reward coming after the event can compare with the sweet reward that went with it.”

-Maurice Maeterlinck

“By hating that person, you have lost something very sweet in yourself.”

-Sri Chinmoy

"Change in all things is sweet."

-Aristotle
 
"Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity."

-Kahlil Gibran

"Half the pleasure of solitude comes from having with us some friend to whom we can say how sweet solitude is."

-William Jay

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."

-Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments:

Post a Comment