Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hump-Day Thoughts on Charity 10/13/10

Another hump day is here and I am really trying very hard to get over the hump. This probably isn?t a regular hump day for me as I have been under the weather for the last two days. I am starting to think that my immune system may have gotten a little weak over the last several days and it was my adrenaline that kept me going through the weekend.

This past weekend was amazing as usual and culminated with a big Arizona Cardinals victory over the New Orleans Saints. This particular Sunday there were a lot of people in the Phoenix area for the game as well as the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Awareness walk. Although I didn?t participate in the walk, I was able to raise some money for the cause while tailgating at the Cardinals game.

While I went to the game to have fun with my friends and extended family, I took the time out to talk with others and fill a jar with money going toward breast cancer awareness. Breast Cancer Awareness Month is really important to me as my great-grandmother survived it many years ago as well as friends and members of my extended family.

As I was thinking about how I could help, I started to think about charity and why people support certain things. In my case it?s clear as I have been touched personally in a few cases and just know the impact of making others aware of some things.

What are the causes that you feel strongly about? What is it that connects you to those things? What role does charity play in your life? Do you give of your time? Resources?

We are in the homestretch of the week and I send good thoughts your way as you finish your week out strong.

?The life of a man consists not in seeing visions and in dreaming dreams, but in active charity and in willing service?

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

?Every good act is charity. A man's true wealth hereafter is the good that he does in this world to his fellows.?

-Moliere

?True charity is the desire to be useful to others without thought of recompense?

-Emanuel Swedenborg

?Character and personal force are the only investments worth anything?

-Walt Whitman

?A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.?

-Jack London

No comments:

Post a Comment