Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Friday Morning Thoughts on Being Engaged 10/1/10

September has come and gone I am sure of it as I sit and look at October 1st staring me smack dab in the face. I can’t sit here and say I don’t have a lot on my mind right this minute because it would be one of the biggest lies I could ever tell myself. Two years ago around this same time, I remember myself alone in a hotel room in Jackson, Mississippi preparing to attend my great-grandfather’s funeral. As I thought about it earlier I can’t say that I didn’t have a few tears in my eyes as I remembered how much he meant to me.

I mentioned my great-grandfather mainly because of the relationship that we had and the influence that he had on me. At this very moment, I think I have reached a fork in the road and I am going to have to make some very important decisions very soon. I wish my great-grandfather was here to talk to as I could really use his wisdom right now. I remember sitting down talking with my great-grandfather over the years when I was thinking about making any major decisions in my life. He would sit down and talk to me about his experiences as he tried to help me prepare to take my own journeys through life. I could only sit in awe as I thought about the knowledge that I received from a man that lived to be almost 100 years old. I always remember him talking to me about being really being engaged no matter what it was. When I first stepped into leadership with my company, he reminded me that my success would be dependent on how well I engaged the people.

As I think about those conversations with my great grandfather and how he stressed the importance of being engaged, I know now why he stressed it. Right now, I don’t think I am as engaged as I should be in a few areas of my life. This is a critical component to success in anything, but there seems to be something causing me to not be engaged.

Are you engaged? What is it that is keeping you from being engaged? How engaged are you in your work? Relationships? Family? Community? How engaged are you with yourself?
Do others know how to engage you?

As you usher in Friday, and prepare for the weekend I trust that you will make it an amazing day.

“love life, engage in it, give it all you've got. love it with a passion, because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it”

-Maya Angelou

“When you engage in systematic, purposeful action, using and stretching your abilities to the maximum, you cannot help but feel positive and confident abut yourself.”

-Brian Tracy

“If you can once engage people's pride, love, pity, ambition (or whatever is their prevailing passion) on your side, you need not fear what their reason can do against you.”

-Lord Chesterfield

“In motivating people, you've got to engage their minds and their hearts. I motivate people, I hope, by example - and perhaps by excitement, by having productive ideas to make others feel involved.”

Rupert Murdoch

“That is why not only we should ourselves engage in good deeds but also encourage others to do the same.”

-Sam Veda

No comments:

Post a Comment