Thursday, May 12, 2011

Friday Evening Thoughts on Gratitude 12/3/10

Friday evening and I am in the midst of enjoying some of my best times. It's not surprising that I find myself the happiest when I am not at work and in the company of people that genuinely care about me. The day was pretty relaxing as I didn't have to work today.

Today I managed to put a smile or two on the faces of a few people. There could be a few more, but I can only account for some of my actions that directly resulted in a smile or two. Like most mornings, I started my day with a little reflection on where my life is currently and found some quotes to share with those in my circle. When I first started sending the daily quotes out several years ago, I never envisioned the impact that they would have years later. It's gotten to the point that there are people that look forward to receiving them and the quotes have become a part of their day.

As I look back at some of things that I do, people remind me of how they appreciate me being a nice guy. I can only say thanks as its a product how of I was raised and what I learned from those that I spend a lot of time with. I talked on the phone to my Aunt Loretta today and she was just calling to tell me thanks for calling just to say hi every now and then. She said thanks for the quotes and she just appreciated me for who I am.

So as I started thinking about talking to my aunt and seeing the smile on my friend's face when I surprised her by bringing her lunch the made me realize that its okay to be a nice guy. I can honestly say that I try my best to treat people like I want to treated. I don't take actions based on any potential reciprocation.

So I found myself sitting here with thoughts of gratitude and asked myself a few questions.

What does gratitude mean to you? Are you nice because you want people to show gratitude toward you? If people don't show you gratitude are you no longer nice? What are you doing that you would expect people to show gratitude toward? How are you showing gratitude? Why?

At the end of the day, I would like to think that these questions that I posed to myself along with the quotes below may inspire something within you as I know it already has in me.

As you move forward and prepare to enjoy your weekend, I trust that you will embrace the opportunity to have many amazing moments. Enjoy life to the fullest and don't let any opportunities slip out of your hands since tomorrow has the potential to not be like today was.

“Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.”

-Sarah Caldwell

“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.”

-William Arthur Ward

“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.”

“Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone.”

-Gladys Browyn Stern

“Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.”

-Brian Tracy

“Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.”

-Eileen Caddy

“Gratitude is one of the least articulate of the emotions, especially when it is deep”

-Felix Frankfurter

“Gratitude preserves old friendships, and procures new.”

No comments:

Post a Comment