Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hump Day Thoughts on Intentions 9/22/10

Sitting here on another Get Over the Hump Day, trying to get my thoughts together as there are only two more days left in the work week for me. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy work when I am taking advantage of my time away from it.(but I am sure we all could say the same thing from time to time) It’s important to appreciate the time away from a lot of things so you can appreciate the time that you do commit.

Just the other day I found myself writing about follow through and what it means to be a man. As I was thinking about these things trying to get things in order for me, I started having conversations in my personal and professional life about intentions. It hit me in a way that made me stop and think for a minute. Most of the time in our lives, people only hear what we say or see what we do and no one ever asks what our intentions were. I often wonder if people are even concerned with what your intentions actually were. As we all have different opinions and view things differently, it’s quite possible that assumptions can be made that incorrectly identify our intentions as something they are not.
So as I continued to sit, think, and reflect on my actions, I don’t know that most people truly understand our intentions or want to. I witness it all day long at work as I see individuals that are so busy focusing on the task at hand that they don’t take the time to think through what it is that they are doing.

Do your intentions and behavior complement one another? What are your intentions when you wake up daily? Do your actions support your intentions? Have your intentions ever been questioned? Were they questioned by you? Others? How did you answer those questions?

These are just a few questions that I was asking myself and posing to you as you continue to move closer to amazing. I can honestly say that as I look at intentions, I know that I do the things that I do because I want to be a better person and want to surround myself with the best of the best. In my mind I feel that you are the best that my life could offer me and I thank you again for being a part of my world.

“Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg.”

“Advice is judged by results, not by intentions”

-Marcus Tallies Cicero

“We judge others by their behavior. We judge ourselves by our intentions.”

-Ian Percy

“Watchfulness is the only guard against cunning. Be intent on his intentions. Many succeed in making others do their own affairs, and unless you possess the key to their motives you may at any moment be forced to take their chestnuts out of the fire to the damage of your own fingers.”

-Baltasar Gracian

“Let your intentions be good - embodied in good thoughts, cheerful words, and unselfish deeds - and the world will be to you a bright and happy place in which to work and play and serve”

-Grenville Kleiser

“It's amazing how much you can learn if your intentions are truly earnest.”

-Chuck Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment